Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The thought process behind writing fascinates me. Any writing I would consider my best has come about seemingly on the spur of the moment or under great pressure ( as in, " Gee, I've got a paper due tomorrow morning, don't I?"). It's well-nigh impossible to replicate these circumstances, and unfortunately, I can't seem to pick which piece of work ends up being of above-average quality. Why is it that sometimes my thoughts seem to flow out in a concise and elegant manner, when at other times I can scarcely construct a sentence? Am I not still myself? Does my mind alter so much? Really, I ought to figure this out before I write the 4 papers I have yet due before the end of the semester. 

1 comment:

  1. A magazine editor I had always said, "There is nothing like a deadline to spur creativity." :) And to take a stab at the question on why we can sometimes write easily and the quality is good, when other times we have trouble, I think it's the ups and downs of life. We don't have unbroken strings of perfect days for anything in life, and writing is the same way. But even on those bad days, when nothing seems to come easily, often we can still find a little gem to polish at a later time, even if it is only a single sentence, or even a phrase. Just keep writing and trust that if you focus on quantity, the quality come, even if you have to sift through a lot of dirt to find the diamonds.

    ReplyDelete